Working With Us
Shakespeare and Company is looking to hire two experienced booksellers to work as part of our shopfloor team; working both on the shopfloor and on the tills, in customer-facing positions.
Our bookshop is visited by readers from around the world and we aim to give them a pleasant experience of the book world. Being enthusiastic about sharing your favourite books is a must, and enjoying encountering lots of new people - often dealing with crowds - with a calm and friendly manner is also critical. Spoken French and English is essential, as is punctuality, good detail orientation, and the ability to work in a team and under pressure.
• a good communicator who recognises the importance of excellent customer service
• calm under pressure, hard-working, and enthusiastic about introducing people to new books
• a strong team-player, with the ability to work proactively
• reliable and punctual
• able to cope with the physical nature of bookselling (lifting boxes, navigating ladders and shelves, retrieving stock from basements etc.)
• available to work full time, including weekends
• keen to stay at Shakespeare & Company for at least a year or two, looking to grow within our team and business
• 2+ years experience working in bookselling, preferably with experience of section curation and ordering titles
• a keen interest in books and reading, and knowledge of latest literary news and releases
• the ability to work in both English and French
• permission to work in France (we regret we are unable to provide assistance obtaining work visas, nor do we offer a relocation fee)
Remuneration and benefits:
• salary commensurate with experience
• tickets restaurant
• 50% monthly Navigo
If you are interested in applying, please send your CV and covering letter to [email protected].