Working With Us
Shakespeare and Company is hiring a Deputy Shopfloor Manager (Responsable adjoint de magasin)
Responsibilities and tasks (team/customers/processes):
Management of the shopfloor team (communication, motivation, training and development) and knowledge of individual roles and responsibilities.
Ensuring a working environment that is friendly and safe for all employees.
Conducting daily/weekly meetings in coordination with the Responsable du Magasin, with the entire team to assist smooth communication.
Maintain regular communication with the Responsable du Magasin to keep them informed of changes relating to the spaces within the shop and any potential issues arising in relation to the team.
Maintain the connection with the Responsable Administrative to deal with any matters relating to HR (scheduling, meetings, staff absences or lateness, accidents in the workplace).
Management of the team in relation to individuals’ needs as well as the needs of the wider team and shopfloor space.
Organisation of work on the shopfloor and problem-solving in relation to busyness, delegation of tasks to ensure team productivity, and communication of daily priorities and resource allocation (inc. distribution of team members according to activity on the shopfloor).
Management of the shopfloor spaces (managing the crowd/any conflicts, direction of and liaison with security guards, ensuring the safety of all customers and staff) and de-escalating and diffusing any possible tensions.
Assisting with integration and training of new booksellers, in coordination with the Responsable du Magasin.
Replace booksellers during holidays or sick days (in conjunction with the other Shopfloor Managers).
Responsibilities and tasks (shopfloor):
Organise storage, display and movement of books and other products (inc. merchandise) on the shopfloor; ensuring all books are safely stored and displayed in a visually attractive way on the shelves (inc. clear signage of different sections).
Management of display of books on the shopfloor: thematic displays, staff picks, literary awards, books in the news etc. Coordination with all section curators within the team; have knowledge of everyone’s specialties in order to organise displays.
Ensure correct and efficient use of Medialog and Mediacaisse by the team and report any problems to the Responsable du Magasin; report any issues with the functioning of technical equipment, computers, security cameras etc. to the Responsable du Magasin / Office Manager.
Keeping the shopfloor clean and tidy, ensuring pleasant working environment and enjoyable spaces for customers to browse.
Handle any security situations, involving pickpockets, thieves, difficult or inappropriate customers, always ensuring safety and wellbeing of the team and customers; review security camera footage and contact law enforcement when necessary. (alongside our two security agents)
Support organisation of events in the bookshop, in coordination with the Directeur Littéraire.
Skills, experience and competencies:
Technical skills and knowledge required:
1. Significant experience as a bookseller, or extensive section management
2. Solid team leadership experience
3. Sales techniques experience and related computer tools: knowledge of Mediacaisse and Medialog would be a plus
4. Ability to anticipate problematic situations by analysing warning signs (with customers/employees/
5. English speaker with a good level of spoken and written French
6. Good understanding and analysis of priority needs of a shopfloor
7. Proficiency in procedures relating to emergencies: overseeing evacuations of the shop, keeping emergency exits clear, maintaining up to date lists of emergency numbers, first aid training etc.
You will be:
1. Discrete and respectful of confidentiality
2. Well-organised and methodical
3. A skilled multi-tasker
4. Hard-working, punctual and reliable
5. In possession of strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to manage a range of different types of people and to delivery exemplary customer service
6. Able to manage stress, and to work calmly and positively in a high-pressure environment
7. An excellent communicator, able to give clear instructions and to make sure they are understood
Remuneration / hours:
Contract: CDI 5 days / 35 hours with a possibility for 4 days / 32 or 28 hours for a salary range from 34k to 40k€ brut (full time) depending on your experience
Closing team responsibility so you must be open to work up to 8.30/ 9.00pm (Tuesday or Wednesday to Saturday)
Benefits : Tickets restaurants, 50% of Navigo pass, mutuelle, interessement, yoga…
Please send your resume along with a cover letter explaining why you think you are the right fit for the role + 3 references to [email protected]
Shakespeare and Company is always interested in hearing from experienced booksellers who are interested in joining our shopfloor team; working both on the shopfloor and on the tills, in customer-facing positions.
Our bookshop is visited by readers from around the world and we aim to give them a pleasant experience of the book world. Being enthusiastic about sharing your favourite books is a must, and enjoying encountering lots of new people - often dealing with crowds - with a calm and friendly manner is also critical. Spoken French and English is essential, as is previous bookselling experience, punctuality, good detail orientation, and the ability to work in a team and under pressure.
- an experienced bookseller with at least two years' experience working in bookshops
- a good communicator who recognises the importance of excellent customer service
- calm under pressure, hard-working, and enthusiastic about introducing people to new books
- a strong team-player, with the ability to work proactively
- reliable and punctual
- able to cope with the physical nature of bookselling (lifting boxes, navigating ladders and shelves, retrieving stock from basements etc.)
- available to work full time, including weekends
- keen to stay at Shakespeare & Company for at least a year or two, looking to grow within our team and business
If you think you match the criteria above, please contact us on [email protected], sending a CV, a cover letter, and details of three references.